Hideaway advice - backing track?
Angus
2011-08-28 20:35:57 UTC
Hi guys,

I've been on a kind of mission for some months now.

I'm trying to learn Hideaway Eric Clapton/John Mayall version, and I'm
at the stage where I can play through the whole thing - just not very
well.

(...and not necessarily in the right order). :)

I thought it would be pretty straightforward, once I'd got the notes
sorted out, to be able to play it over a backing track. That is proving
difficult though. This is basically 'cos I'm not very good, but part of
my problem is that the backing track I found has a lot of keyboards over
it which sort of blurs out the beat for my already dubious sense of
rhythm. Would any of you have access to another version of the backing
track, I think there was one on a major guitar magazine CD a couple of
years ago that was much more drums and bass oriented.

I have the licklibrary dvd which again is a bit too keyboard based.

And any relevant advice?

I like to think I can play along with a beat, but in something like
Hideaway where the guitar is so dominant, and kind of dictating the beat
I'm struggling to put it mildly.

Thanks for reading.
bertie
2011-08-28 22:00:09 UTC
Post by Angus
[...]
What I did (eventually, after 25 years of simply swopping lead/rhythm
parts with another guitarist ) was to record a backing track myself
using simple drum machine ( DR50), rhythm guitar and bass ( optional,
really, but as I had one handy, why not?). I recorded the parts at
slow, medium and full tempo so I could work up to the correct speed
gradually.
This worked fine for me. Have fun, I did.
Angus
2011-08-29 09:44:47 UTC
In article <2fbfd565-9660-4a74-8a1f-b69173a37a89
@t7g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>, ***@btinternet.com says...
Post by bertie
Post by Angus
Thanks for reading.
What I did (eventually, after 25 years of simply swopping lead/rhythm
parts with another guitarist ) was to record a backing track myself
using simple drum machine ( DR50), rhythm guitar and bass ( optional,
really, but as I had one handy, why not?). I recorded the parts at
slow, medium and full tempo so I could work up to the correct speed
gradually.
This worked fine for me. Have fun, I did.
That's organised.

I'm stuggling handling the guitar side of things both from an ability
and available time point of view. I'm not doing much else with the
guitar these days other than trying to get the guitar part of the song
acceptable, which is probably not very healthy - so I don't want to
attempt that, but I respect your approach.
Angus
2011-09-07 17:51:35 UTC
Post by Angus
Hi guys,
I've been on a kind of mission for some months now.
A very kind chap has helped me out by giving me a suitable backing track
that has less keyboard emphasis. If it would helpful to any of you, let
me know.
pastis
2011-08-28 22:15:51 UTC
Post by Angus
[...]
Check your mailbox Angus ;-)
I have send you some stuff that might help.

Grtz,
Eric B.
Angus
2011-08-29 09:36:40 UTC
Post by pastis
Check your mailbox Angus ;-)
I have send you some stuff that might help.
Much appreciated Eric, you are a gentleman. I'm probably fairly well
sorted with the actual notes though, its more a backing track I'm after
at this stage plus any thoughts on the whole time ......ing thing. :)

Thanks again for your kindness.

I ask about playing Hideaway, the next thing is a guy called Eric e-
mails me. ;)
pastis
2011-08-29 09:52:04 UTC
Post by Angus
Post by pastis
Check your mailbox Angus ;-)
I have send you some stuff that might help.
Much appreciated Eric, you are a gentleman. I'm probably fairly well
sorted with the actual notes though, its more a backing track I'm after
at this stage plus any thoughts on the whole time ......ing thing. :)
Thanks again for your kindness.
I ask about playing Hideaway, the next thing is a guy called Eric e-
mails me. ;)
and guess the color of my Strat ;-)
www.roadhouse61.webs.com

grtz,
Eric B.
Angus
2011-08-29 15:36:08 UTC
Not a black one, perchance? :)
pastis
2011-08-29 16:09:43 UTC
Post by Angus
Post by pastis
Post by Angus
I ask about playing Hideaway, the next thing is a guy called Eric e-
mails me. ;)
and guess the color of my Strat ;-)
Not a black one, perchance? :)
Black and White indeed, but with rosewood neck.
EC always plays on maple necks.
JB
2011-08-31 07:41:47 UTC
Post by Angus
Post by pastis
Check your mailbox Angus ;-)
I have send you some stuff that might help.
Much appreciated Eric, you are a gentleman. I'm probably fairly well
sorted with the actual notes though, its more a backing track
I'm
after at this stage plus any thoughts on the whole time
......ing
thing. :)
Thanks again for your kindness.
I ask about playing Hideaway, the next thing is a guy called
Eric e-
mails me. ;)
Here's a Hideaway backing mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5896126/Hideaway%20Backing%20Track.mp3
Grant
2011-09-03 01:55:31 UTC
Post by Angus
I like to think I can play along with a beat, but in something like
Hideaway where the guitar is so dominant, and kind of dictating the
beat I'm struggling to put it mildly.
The problem might not be the backing track, it's your own sense of rhythm
that you need to work on. Try listening to the record and internalise the
rhythm then play with conviction.
Angus
2011-09-12 18:37:59 UTC
Post by Grant
Post by Angus
I like to think I can play along with a beat, but in something like
Hideaway where the guitar is so dominant, and kind of dictating the
beat I'm struggling to put it mildly.
The problem might not be the backing track, it's your own sense of rhythm
that you need to work on. Try listening to the record and internalise the
rhythm then play with conviction.
Well, certainly my sense of rhythm is not without its foibles, but the
backing track I've now got gives me something a bit more solid to try to
lock on to.

If you knew how many times I'd listened to the track on my cd in the car
trying to absorb it. :)

Basically, I just need to be better than I am, but I'm making some
progress.
JB
2011-09-13 06:49:25 UTC
Post by Angus
Post by Grant
Post by Angus
[...]
Why not use Trabscribe! or something similar to slow down the
original? You can make loops and just keep going over and over
while speeding up bit by bit.

Don't give up on it. It's a very valuable exercise. No matter how
long it takes ya.

I learnt Hideaway off the LP on a turntable. Needle on, needle
off. Took me months.

Then I played it day after day with the record until all the
licks were burned into my soul and muscle-memory. I still use
some of the licks from that track in my playing today.
Angus
2011-09-13 17:50:50 UTC
Post by JB
Post by Angus
Basically, I just need to be better than I am, but I'm making some
progress.
Why not use Trabscribe! or something similar to slow down the
original? You can make loops and just keep going over and over
while speeding up bit by bit.
I think that's a great idea, I've done a bit of googling and Riffster
Lite (free!) seems like a good option.

http://www.novadsp.com/riffster_lite.htm

I'll see how I get on with it.
Post by JB
I learnt Hideaway off the LP on a turntable. Needle on, needle
off. Took me months.
Its taken me months to get this far. :)
I would never have managed that. Apart from anything else, I've always
struggled to work out what people are playing, usually coming up with
something very wrong. Youtube and lessons on dvd have been a big help
for me - I wish I'd had something similar in the eighties.
Angus
2011-09-15 17:48:45 UTC
Post by Angus
I think that's a great idea, I've done a bit of googling and Riffster
Lite (free!) seems like a good option.
http://www.novadsp.com/riffster_lite.htm
I'll see how I get on with it.
For the record, I tried it out and it seems to do exactly what its
supposed to do - no particular bells and whistles, but this is the Lite
version, so fair enough, especially as its free.